Go, Go, Bananas, Go!
Since it’s Banana Day this 19th April, why not learn more about these intriguing yellow fruits with some fun and useful facts?
- The scientific name of a banana is musa sapientum, which actually means “fruit of wise men.”
- Banana Plants are considered herbaceous and are not actually trees, since they do not have a woody stem.
- They’re part of the same family as lilies, orchids, and palms.
- Botanically, a banana is actually a berry.
- Surprisingly, bananas are 75% water! Who knew?
- A cluster of bananas is called a hand, while a single banana is called a finger.
- Humans and bananas share over 50% of the same DNA! So we’re technically half a banana :p
- Bananas are incredibly good for your health! They are chock full of fibre, magnesium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc and all sorts of different vitamins in a single fruit!
- All that vitamins make bananas a great pre or post workout snack! They’re also perfect for a quick fill-me-up on the go.
- Bananas can cheer you up! It contains tryptophan and vitamin B6, which are important in serotonin production, a natural mood stabilizer.
- To make bananas last longer, wrap their stems tightly in cling wrap.
- Peel a banana from bottom to top to avoid the stringy fibres that cling to its insides.
Useful Banana Tips
- Rub the inside of a banana peel on skin to reduce itching and inflammation from mosquitoes and other insect bites. The peel is said to draw out fluids, and since bites are usually due to the allergic reaction of an anti-coagulant used by insects, this will help reduce allergy time!
- Use a banana peel on a scrape or burn to help reduce swelling and the risk of infections. The peel contains bromelain, which helps break down fluid trapping proteins after an injury, thus reducing swelling.
- Banana peels make great natural plant fertilisers due to its high phosphorous and potassium content. They’re especially great on rose plants!
So, now that you know how great bananas are, why not pay tribute to their deliciousness by having some fresh Juice Works juices that are loaded with them! We recommend the Banana Blast Off and Body Builder for a power boost whenever you need one! Try it, it’ll make your day ;)